Saturday, February 11, 2012

Let's talk about why...

Let's face it; in this economy aren't we all striving for the best quality and beauty, while stretching our dollar as far as it will go!  I am only talking furniture today but I think that statement can refer to almost anything.  When you reuse furniture you are completely fulfilling that statement.  Purchasing upcycled furniture is the ultimate way to shop green.  Repurposing a piece you already have and making it into exactly what you want, all while reducing your carbon footprint can feel empowering.      

I kept this piece out of the landfill!


Someone had upcycled it years ago by painting it orange and tried to make it look like wood.  The paint was chipping and let's be real...it was ugly!

Many times taking a walk down nostalgia lane can bring a smile to our face.  If we can reuse that dining room table we ate our family dinner at when we visited Grandma's house...or your daughter can reuse your childhood dresser...or maybe you score a secretary at a vintage flea market that reminds you of your Father.  These are things that can take us back to a familiar place and make us feel warm in our hearts.  Because the story(or the imagination) behind the furniture is much more gratifying than going shopping and bringing home a box of furniture that has to be put together or ordering something that can look just like our neighbor's.  If you can have beauty, quality,and unique, why not?!?!    



This piece was painted for a client who loved the Bachelor's Chest I did a few months ago.  She wanted the same kind of look.  I painted it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  First with a light blue I mixed up, then Paris Grey and used Old White on the drawers.  When I distressed it some of the blue popped thru giving it depth and character. 

I have always been passionate about Interior Design.  Over the years I have fallen in love with Landscape Design and Architectural Design.  My style has gone thru many changes.  My sweet Father installed rose pink carpet in my freshman dorm room to fulfill my pink obsession.  God love that man for putting up with me and my now crazy request!  Today I am all about eclectic.  Mix dark wood, light wood, painted wood.  Pull it all together however I want because its my house and that is all that matters.  No rules!!   


For me, it is the ultimate high to find that piece.  That piece with all the right lines but just needs a little love(from me).  To listen to it and imagine what it can become.  And the satisfaction of putting a smile on someone's face when they see the finished product.

   

None of us want to feel like we are settling in this life.  Surround yourself with good people, lots of family and all those things that put a smile on your face.  And if its beautiful furniture...I can definately help you in that department!  But everyone has thier own happy.  So make sure you find it my friend!

Keri

 



No comments:

Post a Comment